characters — s1
colton haynesbailey buntain as jacksonjackie whittemore, former captain of the lacrossecheerleading team, and resident bitch in bhs.
I’ve recently started filling out character questionnaires and I decided to share one of my favorites. It’s great for writers and roleplayers alike, and aside from being a ton of fun to fill out, it allows you to really get to know your character. Therefore, if you’ve got time, I highly recommend trying it out. Credit for this questionnaire goes to this site, though I added my own questions and changed it up a bit.
- Talk about your character’s name. What is it, and how is it pronounced? What does it mean? Does your character have any nicknames?
- Post a picture of your character or describe what they look like in detail. Note any distinguishing facial features.
- Describe your character’s personality.
- What is your character like in relationships? Are they clingy? Faithful or unfaithful? Do they jump from one relationship to the other?
- What kind of things does your character like? What do they dislike?
- How does your character treat their friends and family? How about strangers? Enemies?
- What kind of people does your character surround themselves with? Why?
- Where was your character born? Where have they lived since then? Where is the place that they call home?
- Where does your character go when they are angry?
- What is your character’s biggest fear? Who have they told this to? Who would they never tell this to? Why?
- Does your character have a secret? If so, what is it?
- What makes your character laugh out loud? What makes them angry?
- Has your character ever been in love? Have they ever had a broken heart?
- Does your character have any flaws? What are they?
Then dig deeper by asking more unconventional questions:
- What is in your characters refrigerator right now? On their bedroom floor? On their nightstand?
- Your character is walking home in the dark when they hear some noises around the corner. What do they do? How would they react if they heard someone crying out for help?
- When your character thinks of their childhood kitchen, what smell do they associate with it? Sauerkraut? Oatmeal cookies? Paint? Why is that smell so resonant?
- Your character is doing intense spring cleaning. What is easy for them to throw out? What is difficult for them to part with? Why?
- It is Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details. If they’re eating breakfast, what exactly do they eat? If they’re stretching out in the backyard to sun, what kind of blanket or towel do they lie on?
- While driving down the road, your character hits a dog and swerves off the road into a tree. Do they get out to see to the car first, or the animal?
- Your character is in a relationship and they come home to find their partner in bed with another person. How do they react? How do they feel?
- What is one strong memory that has stuck with your character from childhood? Why is it so powerful and lasting?
- Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What do they wear? Who will they be with?
- Your character gets into a discussion about death and dying. How would they describe the perfect death? Do they believe in life after? Are they afraid of death?
- A friend of your character calls, they want to hang out. What do they do? If they stay home, what will your character suggest they do? If they go out, where will they go?
More of these can eventually be found here.
“When they’re together, it’s like putting a hurricane and a tornado in the same room - you can feel the tension. I didn’t believe in the cliche of soul mates until I saw them together.”
― Tarryn Fisher, Dirty Red
I need to rant about this:
Also known as the best writing program ever! It’s a full-screen writing program!
So you open it up, and it looks like this:
You’re thinking, “Ok, so what? It’s a screen with a picture. Whoopdie do.” But it get’s better! It’s customizable!
See that “appearance”? Click it.
You can also use custom fonts that you have installed!
See that “music”? Click it.
If you drag your own music into the folder, like so:
You get this!:
But wait! It gets better!
See “typing sounds”? You can change those too!
Perhaps the best is - YOU CAN USE ANY PICTURE FOR THE BACKGROUND. It will automatically fade it for you!
Seriously, guys, this tool is wonderful. You can use it for:
- Research papers
- Novel writing
- Play writing
- Short stories
- Homework assignments
- Ranting about your friends when they piss you off
- Writing your shopping list
It auto-saves. It exports to .rtf. Hotkeys from Word for italicize, underlining, and bold work. You can print RIGHT FROM THERE.
And the seriously best thing ever?
It fits on a flash drive. The entire thing with added music is maybe 131MBs.
The bestest thing ever.